Monday, April 13, 2009

TEAPARTYING AND TEABAGGING

A Captain Renault post: It's almost here! The Teabaggers are slated to start their Tea Parties on April 15th all over the state of PA. We're taking a quick and momentary break from our usual good and award winning work of pointing out the hypocrisy and partisanship of AG Tom Corbett to comment on the main political event to date of April 2009. Every day over the last few weeks the media brings us more stories about the Tea Party protests planned for many parts of the country -- including many sites in PA.

Actually I'm not sure I can comment on the PA Tea Parties because I'm not exactly sure what the Teabaggers are protesting. I've read many news stories and website and blog postings about the Teaparties over the last few days and I'm still confused. Here are the options/choices/causes/rantings/theories I have seen so far as the rationale for the tea party protests by the Teabaggers.

1. It's a protest about bonuses. Well in PA at least you get a twofer protest -- you can protest bonuses (Wall Street) and/or you can protest bonuses ( State Legislature).

2. It's a protest about the bailouts of the banks and AIG. That may be a worthwhile cause for protest but I wonder what the Teabaggers think the alternatives should have been, let the banks fail?

3. It's a protest about books and college professors brainwashing our kids?? As in burn all the books?? Hey don't ask me -- look at it for yourself:



4. It's a protest about taxes and government spending. Alright! At least there's something we can all agree on and protest against! I mean who wants to pay taxes? Who needs all those liberal programs like Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, unemployment benefits for the millions now unemployed, mortgage relief for out of work people losing their houses, veterans benefits, and public education??

5. It's a protest in order to prove that "you are not alone" and to "send a message". At least those are some of the goals of the PA Commonwealth Foundation on the Tea Party page on their website. Those seem to be worthy goals. I don't like to be alone and I sure do like to send messages.

6. It's a national promotional event for Glenn Beck and Fox News. Now there's something worth protesting.

There seem to be as many goals, themes, and rationales for the Teabagging Tea Parties as there are Teabaggers who are organizing and attending these protest events across the country. I wish them all well whatever and whoever they're protesting. Protesting whatever you want, whenever you want and wherever you want is the American way. We do plenty of protesting right here on our blog. I think I'm mostly just envious that I didn't think of a teabagging, teaparty protest first -- before this national effort was launched.

Yeah, teabagging AG Tom Corbett would have been such an appropriate protest.

Speaking of Teabagging, this clip about the Tea Parties and Teabaggers from the Rachel Maddow show is just too good to miss. Rachel is having way too much fun. I share it with you here:

No comments: